- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.VW1d2FQI.dpuf

Wednesday 8 January 2014

Strawberry and Feta Salad

All of a sudden it's turned arctic in Doha, I'm sure this is the coldest winter we've had in our 5 1/2 years of living in the Middle East. Last night when I came home from my Tabata class, what I really wanted was to tuck into a very warm and hearty stew but I had already planned steak and salad.

This is the 2nd time I've made this salad and it is quick, easy, full of flavour and perfect for Summer...not so much when it's 12 degrees outside!



You can make your own vinaigrette which I've posted below, but honestly a good splashing of Balsamic Vinegar does the trick as well.

I had a bit of a fail last night when I thought I had almonds in the pantry...I did not. So then I toasted some pine nuts only to discover they were well and truly past their used by date! So my salad pictured above is sans nuts but it tastes a thousands times better with the almonds.

Ingredients
7 - 10 cups of Baby Spinach or Rocket/Arugula
250g Strawberries, chopped
1/2 cup - 3/4 cup Feta Cheese, chopped/crumbled
1/4 Slivered Almonds or Toasted Pine Nuts
Balsamic Vinegar or Homemade Dressing

Balsamic Vinaigrette
1/4 cup of good olive oil
1 1/2 - 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar (I can't find this in Doha so I omit it)
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1-2 gloves of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp honey
1/4 tsp sugar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method
1. Wash and dry spinach/rocket/arugula and place in a large bowl
2. Toss through strawberries and almonds/pine nuts
3. Pour over your dressing, be careful not to drench the salad
4. Gently incorporate feta











No comments: