- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.VW1d2FQI.dpuf

Monday 20 January 2014

Broccoli, Lemon & Garlic Pasta Bake

Once or twice a week I like to cook a vegetarian meal for dinner....much to the Mr's dismay. I need to have a break from meat, load up on veggies and salad, it makes me feel fresh. Are you the same?

I also find that if I prepare a vegetarian meal, Lady Sadie has no option other than to eat all her veggies or risk going to bed hungry.

This pasta bake ticks all my boxes. It's filling, satisfying and the addition of the lemon zest adds so much flavour. I would also add some chili flakes if I was making it only for adults or some ham would also be great for a non-vegetarian option. I served this meal last night with a huge leafy salad and it was a hit. A meal that I'm sure will feature highly on rotation.

*Please note that to make this healthier, I used non fat milk, low fat cream and non fat cheese.

Adapted from the Australian Women's Weekly "Savory Bakes" Cook Book
Servings:6

Ingredients

200g penne pasta
500g broccoli, cut into small florets
3 eggs
1 cup cream 
1/3 cup milk
2/3 cup coarsely grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees celcius. Oil a deep 8-cup ovenproof dish.
  2. Cook pasta in large saucepan of boiling water until tender. Add broccoli for last 5 minutes of pasta cooking time; drain. Rinse pasta and broccoli under cold water; drain, cool.
  3. Combine pasta, broccoli, eggs, cream, milk and cheddar in large bowl; season.
  4. Spoon mixture into dish; sprinkle with combined breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic, rind and parsley.
  5. Bake, uncovered, about 40 minutes or until browned lightly and set.
  6. Stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: