- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.VW1d2FQI.dpuf

Monday 17 February 2014

Cinnamon Baked Doughnuts




One of the first things I do when I arrive back home in Australia is go straight to a good old fashioned bakery for a proper cinnamon doughnut. There is nothing else that beats a good old fashioned Aussie doughnut. 

Sure in Doha we have Krispy Kreme, Dunkin' Donuts and Tim Horton's but they just don't cut the mustard.

I decided to try my hand at making my own. I baked these doughnuts rather than deep fry them and I was very skeptical at first but honestly these doughnuts are melt in your mouth and about as close as I can get to an Australian doughnut.

Now you don't want to go making these too often as they are full of all the stuff that is bad for you but tastes so good! I had one and quickly sent Sadie off to tell the kids in the compound that there were doughnuts so I'm not tempted to sit in my PJs and eat the lot of them!

Enjoy
x






Ingredients
Serves 12

Baking spray
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla

For the topping

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Spray 2 doughnut pans well. Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, melted butter and vanilla. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined. Spoon the batter into the baking pans, filling each one a little more than three-quarters full. Bake for 17 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then tap the doughnuts out onto a sheet pan. For the topping, melt the 8 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan. Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Dip each doughnut in the butter and then in the cinnamon sugar.



No comments: