- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.VW1d2FQI.dpuf

Tuesday 23 March 2010

Matt's Birthday Cake!




Tomorrow is my gorgeous husbands birthday and I promised him that I would make him a chocolate cake from scratch! The reason it has to be from scratch and not from a box or a bakery is due to the following:

In a few days Matt and I will have been together for 5 years. We met at a friends wedding in Vanuatu and the instant I met him I knew he was the man I was going to marry. There was no other option for me than to make sure that he felt the same way! As they say a way to a mans heart is through his stomach! So this weekend marks the anniversary of my infamous BBQ! My friend Gaby (the Bride whose wedding we met at) and I decided that we were going to host a BBQ at my house and invite Matt along. Gaby’s and Matt's respective birthday are 2 days apart so I decided what a nice idea it would be to bake a chocolate cake! Truth be told I just couldn't be bothered making it from scratch so made one from a packet however, Matt was none the wiser...or so I thought. And there I was trying to win this man over by taking full credit for the moist, rich chocolate cake when all I did was serve him a plate full of delicious lies. It wasn't until about a year later that Matt told me that he had seen the empty cake box in the rubbish bin and knew full well I hadn't made it from scratch!!

Since that day I haven't made Matt a birthday cake as we have always gone out to celebrate. However, this year I did it! I made a birthday cake from scratch! And I have been so selfless in this act because I haven't even been able to eat any of the cake. I have made this cake for Matt to take to work tomorrow to share with his staff. If this is not the act of a Domestic Goddess then I don't know what is!

So in honor of the worlds most amazing husband and father...I give you my Chocolate Cake!

Happy Birthday Matt, I love being your wife and being the mother of our beautiful Lady Sadie and I hope to make hundreds more birthday cakes for you...all from scratch!

Ingredients

250g softened unsalted butter
225g (1 cup) caster sugar
3 lightly beaten eggs
125ml (1/2 cup) milk
1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract (the best you can afford)
4 tablespoons dark cocoa powder
150g (1 1/4 cups) self-raising flour


Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F). Grease and line a 23cm (9 in) spring-form tin. Beat butter and caster sugar in a mixing bowl or electric mixer. Add the eggs, milk and vanilla. Continue mixing and gradually fold in the cocoa and self-raising flour. 


Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. 


 Turn the cake out onto a wire rack to cool. When the cake has cooled, transfer it to a serving plate and decorate with icing.



Chocolate Butter Cream Icing

250g unsalted, softened butter
3 cups icing sugar, sifted
1/3 cup milk
1 cup dark cocoa powder

Using an electric beater, beat the butter until white as possible. Beat in the sugar and milk alternately, beginning and ending with sugar. Fold in the icing sugar and cocoa and beat until smooth and creamy.



The result, a rich, moist chocolate cake made from scratch but most importantly made from love!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwh that is so romantic! The cake looks delish too