- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.VW1d2FQI.dpuf

Monday 22 March 2010

Chicken Sang Choy Bow





I grew up on Chinese food as my Dad is addicted to it! We would have both types of chinese food  every week; either eat in or take away. Our favourite Chinese restaurant is Lee's Fortuna Court for those who live in Sydney. Everyone knows my Dad at Lee's. He has ordered pretty much the same dishes for as long as I can remember. 

My parents have travelled extensively throughout China a number of times. I remember my Dad calling me on his first visit to tell me that even though the food in China was good it was never as good as Lee's. My husband and I have lived in Melbourne, Abu Dhabi and now Doha and we have tried to find a restaurant as good as Lee's but unfortunately never have! Although that has never deterred my Dad from trying different Chinese restaurants wherever he travels! 

So tonight in honor of the man I adore I decided to make Chicken Sang Choy Bow. It is very easy to make and takes no time at all. It is also a great light meal for those summer nights when you never feel like anything too heavy. This obviously would also be a great appetizer option for a dinner party especially an Asian themed dinner party.

The meal was delicious and definitely something that I will make again and again. I'm not quite sure if it's up to Lee's standards but it will hold up well in the Derrig household!


Ingredients
1 large iceberg lettuce
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 green onions (spring onions, scallions, shallots) finely sliced
2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
500g chicken mince (you could also use duck, pork or mince)
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
230g can water chestnuts, drained & chopped
2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves




Method


Select six lettuce leaves and trim if necessary with scissors to make large cups. Place in a large bowl filled with iced water to crispin.




Heal oil in a wok on high. Stir-fry green onion and ginger for 1-2 minutes.




Add chicken mince and cook for about 5 minutes, until colour changes. Add hoisin, soy sauce, sesame oil and water chestnuts and continue to stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes. Finally stir through coriander and serve immediately.






And the result...


Apologies for the poor quality of photos. These were taken with my iPhone as my SLR needed to be recharged!

4 comments:

Kerry said...

Love sang choy bow...wouldn't mind trying it with duck.

Anonymous said...

I would like to know what your Dad orders from Lee's! I'd also like to suggest to your readers that Sang Choy Bow is also a great meal if you are suffering from terrible morning sickness and can't stand the sight or smell of any other 'heavier' meals. I might make this for dinner tonight! Thanks for the inspiration and ideas you bring to this blog. I love it!

Unknown said...

Thanks Kerry and Anonymous for your comments.

My father always orders the following although not all in the one sitting!!

Spring Rolls
Sang Choy Bow
Crispy Chicken
Crispy Calamari
Peking Duck
Lobster in ginger sauce
Special fried rice
Sizzling Steak
Mongolian Beef
Chicken Satay
Satay Prawns
Prawn toast

I'm sure there are a few more fave's in there but I can't remember!!

Please try this recipe it's nice and easy and good for you!

Today I'll be making a birthday cake for my husband and some muffins for the kids on the compound.

Elissa said...

Hi Sarah. Saw your blog link on Thommo's facebook page. It's great..Loving it! I love to cook so I will be a regular reader :) Elissa J