- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.VW1d2FQI.dpuf

Wednesday 17 March 2010

Marinated Grilled Lamb Chops

Whenever I go grocery shopping, I always have my trusty list in hand. However, without doubt, I always throw things into the trolley that look appetizing and think to myself that I will eventually make something out of said ingredient. It so happened that late last night I was cleaning out my freezer and there at the back were some lamb chops that were screaming to be marinated! I remember buying the chops a couple of weeks ago because they were Australian, looked to be really good quality and were well priced. But when I got them home I threw them in the freezer and forgot about them!


I put the chops in the fridge to defrost over night and went to bed thinking of a new marinade I could make instead of the normal store bought BBQ marinade that I normally use.


So this morning, while listening to Sadie chatting happily to herself while slurping up her cereal, I thought what is a better duo than lamb and mint! When you make a lamb roast you invariably have a jar of mint sauce on the table. So I googled mint marinade and there were many different options, so I took what I liked best about these recipes and meshed them together to make my own.  


Now to my two side dishes. We are a one car family at the moment as we await the arrival of my much missed 4WD from Abu Dhabi. So while Matt had the car today I had to rely on whatever was in the house for sides. Luckily I had some potatoes and fresh rosemary and some frozen beans; easy! What could go better with lamb than roasted potatoes with rosemary and garlic beans?


I will confess that tonight I used dried mint as I didn't have any fresh mint leaves however I am a big advocate for "fresh is best" but I do keep many dried herbs in my cupboard for just in case emergencies!


Dinner tonight was a taste sensation! There was not much talking tonight at the dinner table as Matt, Sadie and I devoured the delicious, juicy tender meat. And I now know this recipe will become a family favourite and frequently requested dish. I'm hopeful that Sadie will love it so much that she will want to learn how to make it one day for her own family as I have learnt from my mum.


Roasted Rosemary Potatoes


7 x baby chat potatoes
2 x sprigs of fresh rosemary
Sea Salt
Olive oil




On a baking tray place your potatoes and top with rosemary. Drizzle with olive oil and season with sea salt. Bake in a hot oven (200 degrees celcius) for approximately 40 minutes or until the potatoes are a golden colour and a knife can pierce through easily.


Marinated Grilled Lamb Chops


4 x lamb chops
2 x garlic cloves minced
2 x table spoons rosemary chopped
2 x table spoons mint leaves chopped
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper



To marinade, place chops in a large mixing bowl. Combine garlic, rosemary and mint and sprinkle over the chops. Pour the wine over the chops and season with sea salt and black pepper. Let the chops marinate for at least 2 hours. I do suggest either marinating all day or over night. The longer you marinate the more tender and juicy your meat will be.


Allow your grill pan to become smoking hot. Place your chops on the grill and cook for 3-4 minutes on either side. The lamb will be on the rarer side however, you could grill longer if you prefer your meat more well done.

The garlic beans were super easy. Place beans in a microwave safe container and add some minced garlic and water. Microwave according to packet instructions. They do taste better if you also add some butter but we are watching our weight in the Derrig household so I omitted the butter tonight.



No comments: