- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.VW1d2FQI.dpuf

Friday 12 March 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Well my tummy bug reared its ugly head again this morning and I almost didn't have the energy to cook. However, while Sadie was taking her nap I thought I would whip up a classic that I think everyone loves; chocolate chip cookies!

I took a basic recipe and switched it up just slightly by combining both caster sugar with brown sugar. I love the texture of brown sugar and the taste is far richer than its more refined cousin. 

Also, instead of using only pre-made choc chips I roughly chopped good quality dark chocolate and combined the two. I think this gives the cookies a more rustic home made look and they don't look store bought!

I hadn't made these cookies in a long time however a few weeks back my neighbour had to rush back to the UK to visit her ill father and left her two boys at home with Dad. I knew Catherine's boys were missing her greatly so decided to bake the cookies for them as a treat. The batch that I made below have since been delivered to my other neighbour on the compound to enjoy with her family!


Ingredients


175g butter at room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1 tsp good quality vanilla extract
2 cups plain flour, sifted 
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 cup good quality dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup good quality dark chocolate roughly chopped 


Method


Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees (350 fahrenheit) and line two baking trays with baking paper. Beat the egg and sugars in an electric mixer until they're pale and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Sift in the dry ingredients, add the chocolate and stir to combine. Roll heaped tablespoons of mixture into balls and flatten slightly before placing on the trays. Bake for 15 to 18  minutes (depending on your oven) or until lightly golden. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool completely. This recipe makes 24 small cookies or 12 large cookies (pictured above).

No comments: