- See more at: http://blogtimenow.com/blogging/automatically-redirect-blogger-blog-another-blog-website/#sthash.VW1d2FQI.dpuf

Saturday 19 June 2010

Banana Sour Cream Pancakes




I am so excited to share this recipe with you! I have never made my own pancake batter before. I've always believed that the shake and pour variety were more my bag until I made these banana pancakes today!

To me pancakes mean a desert - I love nothing more than an American style buttermilk pancake with gooey maple syrup and vanilla ice cream. However, today my love affair with buttermilk pancakes has come to an end as I have now found a new love...savoury banana pancakes served with warm maple syrup and crispy bacon.

Now, this is the type of dish that you would not want to serve on a weekly basis... queue heart attack on a fork! But...every now and then when you wake up a little fuzzy from the night before and you need a stodgy meal to cure the aches and pains but couldn't be bothered getting dressed up to go out for brunch...this is the meal for you!

My mouth is still watering from these pancakes and using the sour cream in the recipe is the midas touch. The centre of the pancakes oozes deliciously with melted banana and sour cream. The combination of fluffy pancake and oven crisped bacon is a party for your taste buds.

And can I just say that taking the time to dust a little icing sugar over the plate is truly and utterly the icing on the cake!!

I encourage everyone to try this dish at least once in their life time - you will not be left disappointed.

Enjoy!
x

Ingredients



  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3 tablespoons caster sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • Unsalted butter
  • 2 ripe bananas, diced, plus extra for serving
  • Pure maple syrup
Note: I also added to this dish rashes of crispy bacon cooked in the oven at 200 degrees celsius until brown and crispy.

Method

Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. 


In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla and lemon zest.


Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing only until just combined.



Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat until the butter starts to bubble. Ladle the pancake batter into the pan to make 3 or 4 pancakes. Distribute a rounded tablespoon of bananas on each pancake. Cook for 2-3 minutes until bubbles appear on top and the underside is nicely browned. 


                                       

Flip the pancakes and then cook for another minute until browned. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, add more butter to the pan and continue cooking pancakes until all the batter is used. Serve with sliced bananas, maple syrup, icing sugar and crispy bacon.


                            

4 comments:

Cam said...

I like the new layout!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

I have to tell you I have never made my own batter either....you make it look so easy!
thanks for sharing!

Marie said...

Mmmm...yummy...I already love pancakes and adding sour cream and banana is like icing on these pancakes. I will definitely have to try the recipe especially coz your pictures looks so gooood! Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday.
-marie

m.fay said...

These look great! Yum Yum. Your blog is darling. Please stop by and say hi.
m.fay
http://www.amateurcouture.com